Wednesday 27 November 2013

Chocolate Cake


Grrrrr...... Yes I am starting this post with a lot of irritation. I had drafted this post in the morning & someone has removed the charger plug from my laptop. When I got back to my desk, the laptop was shutdown & now I need to type out the recipe again......I love to bake & cook but when it comes to posting it, I am very lazy. Hmmm now do I have an option? No:( 


This is a chocolate cake recipe & in the past I have posted different types of chocolate cake recipes. We all know there are plenty of recipes in the net & we all have our own favorite ones. This is the cake that I used to bake long time ago & forgot to note down the recipe. After so many years, couple of months ago I came across a recipe which is very similar to the one I used to follow earlier for chocolate cakes. Looking at the cake texture, I knew this was the recipe I was looking for. This recipe is from addapinch.com. In this recipe, oil is used instead of butter & hot water is used to give air to the cake. The cake is very moist & melt in your mouth types. This is a great cake for decorations & also to eat it just like that. This is how I made the cake.



Making time: 45 minutes
serves: 20- 25 people
10 inch square pan or 9 inch 2 round pan

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups sugar (powdered)
  • ¾ cup cocoa
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1½ teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
  • 1 cup milk
  • ½ cup vegetable oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup boiling water
  • 1 tspn Butter essence
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350ยบ F. Prepare two 9-inch cake pans by spraying with baking spray or buttering and lightly flouring. Or 10 inch square pan.
  2. Add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt to a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk through to combine 
  3. Add milk, vegetable oil, eggs, vanilla, butter essence, instant coffee into a bowl & mix well.
  4. Now mix  in the wet ingredients into the dry one on medium speed until well combined. 
  5. Reduce speed and carefully add boiling water to the cake batter. Beat on high speed for about 1 minute to add air to the batter.
  6. Distribute cake batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans or 1 10 inch sqaure pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
  7. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes, remove from the pan and cool completely.
  8. Frost cake with Chocolate Frosting.
Simple Chocolate Frosting

Ingredients:
  • 1.5 cups chocolate chips
  • 2 tbspn butter
  • 1/2 cup icing sugar
  • 1 tspn vanilla essence
Directions:
  1. In a doube boiler melt the chocolate chips. Once they are melted add in rest of the ingredients & mix well.
  2. After this mixture has cooled, just spread it over the cake. 

Note:
  1. This cake can be used as a base for many recipes like Black forest, mousse cake, chocolate fudge cake, trifle etc.
  2. This cake can be refrigerated for over month & it will still stay moist & soft.



28 comments:

  1. first time on your blog..lovely recipes.

    http://priyakitchenette.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a killing cake!!! darn... looks so good... u r really tempting me to go ahead and make it for tonight... let's see...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Like Vanilla essence there is Butter essence. Since I like Butter flavor I added this in my recipe, If you don't find it, its OK to skip it.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Like Vanilla essence there is Butter essence. Since I like Butter flavor I added this in my recipe, If you don't find it, its OK to skip it.

      Delete
  5. Looks yum. Just a question. What is butter essence???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like Vanilla essence there is Butter essence. Since I like Butter flavor I added this in my recipe, If you don't find it, its OK to skip it.

      Delete
  6. perfect dear !! liked the recipe..bookmarked it .,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Like Vanilla essence there is Butter essence. Since I like Butter flavor I added this in my recipe, If you don't find it, its OK to skip it.

      Delete
  8. very nice i ll sure try it but pls tell wat is butter essence ? if dont have tat wat to use for its alternative

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like Vanilla essence there is Butter essence. Since I like Butter flavor I added this in my recipe, If you don't find it, its OK to skip it.

      Delete
  9. Cake looks super yumm and perfectly baked dear...
    Will u break my diet plan?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what diet are you on Suhaina? No diet during xmas season for me:)

      Delete
  10. I can understand the irritation :)
    Cake looks delicious just mouthwatering .. :)
    Don't forget to join my $30 certificate giveaway
    http://www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com/2013/11/dressale-30-certificate-giveaway.html?m=0
    Keep in touch,
    www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow...the cake looks airy and perfect...drooling here :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. saw this on FB and here I am salivating!

    ReplyDelete
  13. hahahah.. Raf I think we both always think of food :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Its so fabulous and love that coating on top. Also the coffee inside is another temptation.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. yummmy cake ..
    Ongoing event with giveaway at http://savorindian.blogspot.com/2013/12/event-announcement-cooking-with-green.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Sheela..
    Cake looks very tempting. i would like to know do you use the same cup measurements to measure the flour(and other dry ingredients) and wet ingredients

    ReplyDelete
  19. So tempting.........n lovely ....killing me by itz texture........ :):)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Stopping by and leaving a lovely comment...Your comments means a lot to me and; it defenitley does motivate me to do more. Happy to have you in my space &; hope to see you again soon.

Sheela:)