Thursday 17 May 2012

Chettinad Chicken Fry


I was craving for something very spicy yesterday & thought if making Chettinad Chicken fry. This is my version & may not be the authentic one. But this is super delicious finger licking good. I had this with steamed rice in the afternoon & dry Rotis at night. Lets get cooking it now...

Ingredients:
3/4 Kg Chicken
1 Tomato chopped
1 Onion Chopped
1/2 Tsp Tamarind paste
1/4 Tsp Turmeric powder
1 Tsp Fennel seeds
2 Tbsp desiccated coconut
1/2 cup of water
1 Tbsp Oil
2 Tbsp Ghee
Handful of curry leaf
Coriander leaf for garnish
salt as per taste

For the Masala
1 Tbsp Fennel seeds
6 to 8 Red dried chili
2 Tbsp whole Black pepper
1 Tbsp Coriander seeds
1 Tbsp Cumin seeds
1 Inch Cinnamon
3 Cloves
4 Cardamom
1 bay leaf
1/2 onions chopped
1 Tbsp Garlic Chopped
1 Tbsp Ginger chopped



Method:
  1. Dry roast all the ingredients in the Masala list, except onions & ginger garlic & keep aside.
  2. Now in a Pan add oil, fry onion, ginger & garlic till its translucent. Now grind the dry roasted spices along with onion & ginger garlic to a smooth paste.
  3. In the Pan add Ghee fry fennel seeds, onion, tomatoes add the Masala paste, salt, tamarind paste & fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
  4. Add chicken into this & fry it well with this Masala for 5 to 8 minutes. when this gets a little dry, add the water, desiccated coconut & cook this on medium heat for about 8 to 10 minutes till the chicken is dry. Garnish this with fresh Curry leaves & coriander leaves.


Note:

  • You can actually marinate the chicken with the Masala for more time to make it more flavorful. Since I don't plan in advance what to cook, I mostly don't marinate.
  • If you want it gravy you can add more water.
  • Some people fry the curry leaves in oil & add. But  I like to garnish my dish with fresh curry leaves as it adds more flavor to the dish.
  • Fennel seeds & black pepper is the main ingredient in this dish.
Happy cooking & eating:)

4 comments:

  1. What a mouthwatering recipe! delicious spices and flavors. Thanks for finding my blog - yours is lovely and I'm happy to follow you :)
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Friend
    Thanks for stopping by n introducing me to this yummy world...just scrolled your home page, u have nice collection of recipes....pics are too tempting!!Glad to follow u :)
    Chettinad chicken is one of my fav recipe, love its spicy n flavor...your fry looks fantastic...masala gets coated well with chicken n looks too yumm!!
    Spicy Treats

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't need red chilly or chilli powder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ranjith,

      Thank you so much for pointing at this. I have totally forgotten to add it in my ingredients list. I have updated the recipe & please try & let me know how it turned out.

      Regards
      Sheela

      Delete

Thanks for Stopping by and leaving a lovely comment...Your comments means a lot to me and; it defenitley does motivate me to do more. Happy to have you in my space &; hope to see you again soon.

Sheela:)