Thursday 6 December 2012

Barbie Cake

                                     Since I forgot to carry my Camera, I dont have good shots of this Cake.

I am posting in my blog after a really long time. We have just got back from tour iring India trip. After all that long travel in India & so much pending work, I am now sitting & relaxing at home.

While I was in Kottayam this November, I made a Barbie cake for my hubbys Niece's Birthday Party. My Sister- in- law has a traditional small Oven & we baked 5 batches of 8 inch round Chocolate cake. I used all local ingredients that was available in Chenganachery super markets. I must say the quality of Coco was not at all good. I used the cadubory brand & still it was no where close to even the local coco I use here in Singapore. Honestly I dint like the way the cake tasted. All because of the ingredients. Coco is the main ingredients for great tasting chocolate cake. However everyone loved it there, so I was happy. The entire cake as a package along with the icing tasted good. very good to me Well the next time, I am going to carry some coco from here:).  This is the easiest cake I have ever made. Barbie cake looks complicated but trust me, its very easy to make.  Here is the recipe...

Chocolate cake

Ingredients
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup Cocoa
  • 1 Tbsp baking powder  
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 eggs
  • 80 gms salted Butter
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 1 Tspn Lemon Juice
 
Method: Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 8-inch round baking pan. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder in large bowl. Cream the butter sugar with a spoon or whisk. Add beaten eggs and vanilla.Add in the dry ingredients & Mix the warm water.  Pour batter into prepared pan & bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Now cut the cake into 3 layers & frost with chocolate Butter cream.
 
(Note: I made 5 batches of baking to make 5 cakes to serve around 50 guests. Infact there were still many pieces if cakes left. I added less sugar in cake coz the icing is anyways sweet.)
 
Chocolate Buttercream Recipe

Ingredients
  • 250 gms butter (room temperature)
  • 500 gms Icing sugar
  • 250 gms cooking chocolate (Melted on double boiler)
  • 1 Tsp Lime Juice
  • 1 Tbsp Vanilla essence
  • 1/4 Tsp Salt
  • 2 to 4 tbspMilk (optional to get the desired consistancy)
Method: Beat butter to a smooth consistancy, Stir in melted chocolate. Alternately add powdered sugar & rest of the ingredients beating to spreading consistency. Now the frosting is ready. spread this to each layer of cake.

Note: To make the cake really juicy & moist ,I add in sugar syrup on each layer of the cake before frosting.
 
For the Pink Buttercream frosting for decoration
Ingredients
500 gms Amul Butter
600 gms Sifted icing sugar
1 Tsp Vanilla Essence
Pink Edible Color (I used Wilton color)
Big Star tip
Piping Bag
 
Method:
Beat butter to a smooth consistancy, add powdered sugar , color& Vanilla Essence, Beat this well which a electric mixer untill its very creamy & fluffy. Fill this in the piping bag & decorate the entire cake.
 
Assembling the cake:
Cut each cake into 3 layers & spread the Chocolate butter cream icing inbetween each layer. Layer all the cakes one on top of the other. cut the top most layer of the cake into a smaller round shape. Once all the cakes are layered. Spread the chocolate buttercream outside the cake & crumb coat it. Let this set in the fridge for atleast 20 mins. Now remove it & start the decoration with pink buttercream icing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Stopping by and leaving a lovely comment...Your comments means a lot to me and; it defenitley does motivate me to do more. Happy to have you in my space &; hope to see you again soon.

Sheela:)