Saturday 13 December 2014

Basic sponge cake



           ( The cake in the above picture is upside down & you can see the flower nail on top)

I lately realized that I haven't uploaded a basic Vanilla sponge cake recipe in my blog. This is a basic cake recipe that I use for all kind of cakes as a base. You can use the same recipe & add different flavors .  For example: Add instant coffee powder to make a mocha sponge cake, Strawberry essence or puree for Strawberry sponge cake.

Long time ago I had read in a cake form that, adding a flower nail in the center of a round pan will rise the cake much taller than the regular height. That's why I decided to try it myself & see. I was so happy to see my cake taller & I could cut them into 2 layers & make a tall cake. This is a great tip for all bakers. Here is a very simple recipe & I am sure you will never go wrong.


Makes 1, 7  inch  or 8 inch round tall cake
Total Time required: 45 mins to an hour
Baking time: 30- 45 mins

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup flour
  • 3 eggs
  • 70 gms butter
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 tspn Vanilla essence
  • 1/4 tspn salt
  • 3 tbsp water
  • 4 Tbsp curd/ Yogurt (Full fat)
  • 1 Tspn Baking powder
  • 1/2  tspn baking soda
Utensils:
  • 8 Inch baking pan
  • Parchment paper
  • OTG Baking oven
  • 1 large cake mixing bowl
  • Electric beater
  • sifter
  • flower nail 
Method:
  1. Sieve the dry ingredients & keep aside.
  2. seperate the eggs yolks from glare
  3. Cream the butter, egg yolks & powdered sugar for about 2 to 3 mins. Untill its fluffy
  4. Add in salt, Vanilla essence, curd, 3 tbsp water & all the dry ingredients to this mixture & mix well.
  5. Beat the egg whites to soft peaks in a separate bowl.
  6. Now fold in the egg white into the cake batter with a spatula & give it a gentle good mix, so everything is combined. Do not over mix. You can do this with a spoon or a spatula.
  7. Prepare the baking Pan by greasing it with butter & line the parchment paper at  the bottom of the pan.
  8. Now place the flower nail in the center of the baking pan.
  9. Now pour the cake batter into the pan & pat the cake pan on the counter top to release any air bubbles.  
  10. Bake this in a preheated oven for about 35- 45 mins at 180 degree. Or until toothpick insert comes out clean.
  11. Remove the pan outside & allow it to cool down for about 20 mins. Now slowly invert the pan & remove the cake from the pan gently. Once the cake is completely cooled, pull out the flower nail carefully & set aside


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Stopping by and leaving a lovely comment...Your comments means a lot to me and; it defenitley does motivate me to do more. Happy to have you in my space &; hope to see you again soon.

Sheela:)