Sunday 4 December 2011

Malai Koftas (Stuffed cottage cheese with creamy sauce)


Throughtout my pregnancy I dint have any cravings. I had loss of appetite and was vomiting throught out untill 8th month :(But on June 14th 2011 (My hubbys Bday), 8th month of my pregnancy suddenly I was craving for Malai Koftas. I was alone at home Mum had just gone back to india as I was due only mid July. I wanted to make this dish and I did not have Paneer & cream but had all other ingrediants at home. I thought during my evening walk I will pick up Paneer from the near by Indian store and make this for dinner.Unfortunately the store dint have the stock:( Poor me ended up picking ready to eat Palak Paneer. It was awful and I hated the taste:(. I was wondering when will mum come back and and get to just sit and eat what I crave for at least now. The very next morning my waterbroke at 4am and I am rushed to the hospital. I was shocked to know that I was in labour and I am goona have my baby out anytime. My baby was born 5 weeks premature and by Gods grace he was healthy and dint need to be in incubator. After a month from than I made this dish and enjoyed it throughly. This dish is very special to me:)

INGREDIENTS
For koftas
4-5 medium Potatoes, boiled and mashed
1 cup Cottage cheese (paneer), grated
2 Green chillies, seeded and chopped finely
1/4 cup Cornflour/ corn starch
Salt to taste
Oil for deep-frying

For gravy

3 medium Onions, roughly chopped
3 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon Ginger garlic paste
2 Green chillies, chopped
1 Teaspoon Coriander powder
1 tspn Turmeric powder
1/4 tspn cumin powder
Salt to taste
1/2 cup Tomato puree
1/2 cup Fresh cream
1 tspn Garam masala powder

METHOD
For the koftas mix potatoes, paneer, green chillies, cornflour and salt. Divide into sixteen equal portions. shape them into balls. Heat sufficient oil in a kadai and deep fry the koftas till slightly coloured. Drain on absorbent paper and keep them warm.
For the gravy, boil the onions with a cup of water for ten minutes. Drain excess water, cool and grind to a smooth paste. Heat oil in a kadai. Add boiled onion paste and sauté for five minutes. Add ginger paste, garlic paste, green chillies, coriander powder, turmeric, cumin powder and salt. Sauté for a minute. Add tomato puree and sauté on medium heat for eight to ten minutes or till oil begins to leave the masala. Add fresh cream and garam masala powder. Place warm koftas in a serving dish and pour hot gravy on top and serve. Garnish it with green chillis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Stopping by and leaving a lovely comment...Your comments means a lot to me and; it defenitley does motivate me to do more. Happy to have you in my space &; hope to see you again soon.

Sheela:)