Thursday 17 January 2013

Prawn Pickle


I love going to the wet market.There are so many choices of vegetables, fish meat.... I just wait to go there once a week to do my grocery shopping. Since I go along with my maid & son. My lill Zu boy gets to see live fish, crab & vegetables. This is like a small picnic for him & he thoroughly enjoys it. Today was one of those lucky days I got to buy fresh shrimps. These are not available always & whenever they are, I pick like 3 to 4 kgs at once. I love shrimps more than prawns. 

Well Shrimps are smaller prawns & they taste better than prawns. In India Shrimps are quite common especially in the coastal area. Today I picked up 3 kgs & cleaning them is a big big task. My maid took about 2 hours to clean 2 kgs.  I joined her too to get it cleaned fast. I love Shrimp Pickle, curry & masala. I made a kilo of shrimp Pickle & the rest 2 kilo is sitting in my freezer. So the following days I will be making curries too:) Here is a very easy & tasty recipe.

Making time: 30 mins
If eaten everyday, lasts for 1 to 2 weeks.

Ingredients:


  • 1 Kg Cleaned Shrimps
  • 1 Tbsp Salt
  • 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
  • 1/2 Tspn Coriander Powder
  • 1/2 Tspn Cumin Powder
  • 1/2 Cup Coarsely ground Ginger Garlic paste (Around 5 Tbsp)
  • 3 tablespoon chopped ginger & garlic
  • 1/4 Tspn Fenugreek seeds
  • 1.5 Cup cooking oil
  • 1.5 cup white vinegar
  • 1 Tspn sugar
  • Handful of curry leaves
  • 1 tspn mustard seeds


Method:


  1. Clean the prawns well & dry them with kitchen paper towel so the water is drained off completely.
  2.  In a Kadai/ Pan heat the oil & fry the prawns in 2 batches for about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove them & set aside. 
  3. Now in the same pan to the same oil, add mustard's seeds, fenugreek seeds & allow them to crackle. 
  4. Add in chopped ginger, garlic, ginger garlic paste, curry leaves & fry them for about 3 to 4 mins. 
  5. Now add in all the masalas & fry for another 2 mins on low flame. At this stage you might also notice that the mixture in the pan sticking to the bottom. (Do not worry as the vinegar will help remove them)  
  6. Add in the vinegar, sugar & stir well. Once you add in the vinegar mix well.
  7.  Finally add in the prawns & simmer for another 2 mins. 
  8. The Shrimp pickle is ready. Once cooled store it in a sterilized bottle & close the lid tightly. This can be kept outside in room temperature for a month or in the fridge for more than a month, Mine always gets over in a weeks time:)



1 comment:

  1. Oh this sounds succulent! lovely ingredients - what fun that market sounds!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Stopping by and leaving a lovely comment...Your comments means a lot to me and; it defenitley does motivate me to do more. Happy to have you in my space &; hope to see you again soon.

Sheela:)