Tuesday 12 November 2013

Dulce de Leche


Dulce de Leche name sounds so difficult to pronounce right? But this is definitely not difficult to make. This is nothing but slowly heating sweetened milk. This sauce is a heat & soul of many famous desserts. One of the desserts that is easy & I often make is "Banoffee Pie" Everyone must try this pie &its definitely a crowd pleaser. I have also used this sauce to make ice cream & its turned out superb. Well you can make this sauce very thick or semi thick consistency . Depending on what you want to make you can alter your cooking time. I have pictures of both thick sauce & soft sauce. 

The first time I made I just took 3 whistles & my sauce was a little running & it would drip off from the sides of the pie. This time I cooked for longer, until 8 whistles & it was perfect the way I wanted. It might be a little difficult to spread it on top of the pie, but I used my hands & it was like soft fondant. I flattened the sauce with my fingers & layers it on top of the pie.  If you don't have a pressure cooker, then you can slow cook it in a heavy bottom sauce pan for an hour.  You can use this in your butter cream frosting as well. 


This is how I made the sauce...

You can make 2, 6 inch pies with 1 tin of Milk Maid
  1. In pressure cooker place the condensed milk in a bowl with water covered till the neck of the tin. Cook this on low flame for about 20 - 25 mins until 8 to 10 whistles.
  2. Once the cooker is cooled, remove it carefully & place it under the running water to cool.
  3. Once its cooled remove the tin cover & keep it in the fridge for it to cool for some more time
  4. I generally make it the previous day & leave it at room temperature to cool down. Once the tin is opened, I refrigerate.
For desserts recipes with Dulce de leche  Click here & here
This image is a little thinner sauce & for this you need to take 3 to 4 whistles enough in the pressure cooker.


Note:
When I do this I always stay away from the kitchen, coz we have heard of cooker burst stories, so being a little cautious. I have made this 4 times & have never had any problem in the past. 

21 comments:

  1. Wow I just love the look of your dulce de leche... and its so easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I just love this,Perfect with any dessert.Love your blog and happy to follow you,Will be glad if you follow me too

    ReplyDelete
  3. this ones so easy to make will try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG this looks so heavenly want to lick it ff the screen!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried pronouncing but have given up, tongue twisting and by the time I pronouns, people wondered what was I trying to say. Seen this on another foodies space and seeing it again is tempting. The trust is we are not big fan of sugary stuffs yet I will pass your post to my friends because they have been asking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me this is very yummy when used in desserts & ice cream

      Delete
  6. I have never heard of this sauce, u masters it after all those efforts.. :)
    Good day
    Keep in touch,
    www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks lovely .after seeing so many successfull recipes in blogosphere using this pressure cooker method..I wish to try it out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had this heavenly sauce but never made it; thanks for showing the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That first click is simply too tempting, I've always wanted to try this, but have been putting it off, still scared about the pressure cooker bursting..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even I was scare the first time i made it Hema. Everytime I make it, I make sure that no one is in the kitchen

      Delete
  10. This must be very sweet? Interesting... can you share some recipes that use this dulce le lechee?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is very sweet & its used in Pies, cakes, ice cream. For recipe http://www.korporate2kitchen.com/2013/04/banoffe-pie.html
      http://www.korporate2kitchen.com/2013/08/dulce-de-leche-ice-cream.html

      Delete
  11. oooh looks yummy and sweet :D
    I am hesitant to try this as I know its going to be super sweet, and my super sweet tooth kids will be finishing it in record time

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Stopping by and leaving a lovely comment...Your comments means a lot to me and; it defenitley does motivate me to do more. Happy to have you in my space &; hope to see you again soon.

Sheela:)