Sunday 23 September 2012

Chicken Rendang



 
 
I have been planning to try Malaysian recipes from a long time. To start with I tried this Rendang curry & It was really yummy. Very different from the Indian Curries. Most Malaysian recipes are very high in calories. They use a lot of coconut cream, deep fried items, shrimp paste in their cooking. I haven't tried many of their food varieties though. But when you go thru the recipes you will get an idea as to how fatten it is. But it tastes extremely good too:) Once in a while it is ok to have some rich food. I had this curry  in a restaurant about a year ago & I loved it. After doing some research on the net, I found this recipe good & tried it. This is how I made my Rendang.
 
 
Ingredients:
  • 1kg Chicken, cut into 12 pieces
  • 50ml Coconut Milk 
  • 4 Tbsp Pan Roasted Grated Coconut
  • 3 Kaffir Lime Leaves
  • 2 Turmeric Leaves
  • Salt as per taste
Ground Masla Paste

  • 10 Red Chilis deseeded
  • 15 dried Chilies softened in hot water, drain
  • 15 Shallots (Small Red Onion), peeled
  • 3 Garlic cloves peeled
  • 8  Candlenuts
  • 3 Tbsp  Lemongrass Sliced
  • 1 inch Ginger peeled
  • 1 Tsp Jaggery
  • 1.1/2 Inch fresh turmeric peeled & chopped
  • 3 Kaffir lime leaves
  • 3 to 4 birds eye chili (Optional)
Method:
  1. In a wok, add in Oil and stir-fry ground masala Paste. Simmer for 5- 8 minutes. Cover wok to avoid splatters.
  2. Add in Chicken, Coconut Milk, and Turmeric Leaves, mix well with Gravy.
  3. Boil for 30 minutes, or till Chicken becomes tender and the Gravy thickens. Wait till Oil separates to the sides.
  4. Add in the roasted, pounded desiccated Coconut (Kerisik), 1 Tsp Jaggery and Kaffir Lime Leaves. Add salt and sugar to taste. Simmer till gravy thickens.
  5. Dish and garnish with finely sliced Turmeric Leaves
 

 
 
 

 
Note:

  • If you make it dry, you can have as appetizer. 
  • I had it with steamed rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Stopping by and leaving a lovely comment...Your comments means a lot to me and; it defenitley does motivate me to do more. Happy to have you in my space &; hope to see you again soon.

Sheela:)