Wednesday 5 September 2012

Tiramisu



I have been thinking for making this Italian dessert "The brown beauty Tiramisu" from a long long time. every time I wanted to make this something or the other would come up. I was also hesitant to try this coz the original recipe uses raw eggs. Since I had invited my Friends family home for dinner, I thought I will make this dessert.After doing some research I liked Show me the curry recipe, just tweaked it a lill bit & made this. It turned out so good that we all loved it. Funny part is that I had never tasted this dessert before, so I really don't know how the real one tastes :). However this was a big hit & I am going to make this more often.

Ingredients:

Mascarpone Cheese – 300 gms at room temp
1 Cup Powdered Sugar
1 Cup Whipped Cream

Egg Yolks – 3
1 Cup Black Coffee

1 Packet Lady Fingers (Around 20) alternative is sponge cake
Cocoa Powder & Powdered Sugar – for garnishing


Method:

In a large mixing bowl, mix softened Mascarpone Cheese with 3 Tbsp of sugar until sugar is completely dissolved. In a separate bowl, mix 3 egg yolks with  3 Tbsp of sugar and whisk continuously in a double boiler until eggs are cooked (approx 1-2 minutes). The color of the yolks will turn a lemon yellow when done. Immediately mix the egg mixture into the cheese mixture and stir well. Add 2-3 Tbsp of the coffee into the mixture and mix well. Whip Heavy Whipping Cream  with remaining Sugar in a bowl over ice until fluffy. Fold Whipped Cream into cream cheese/egg mixture until well incorporated.

Dip each Lady Finger into the coffee (for 1-2 seconds on each side) and place into square or rectangle tray until the bottom is completely covered. Spread 1/2 of the cheese filling evenly on top of the fingers. Lightly dust cocoa powder over the filling.( Tea strainer works great! )Repeat with another layer of coffee dipped fingers.Top with remaining filling. Sprinkle cocoa powder over the top to form a coating. I made 3 layers. Chill in the freezer for about 4 to 5 hours.Garnish with a light dusting of powdered sugar or coco powder.


The whole block of Tiramisu before being cut:)

Note:
  • If you don't get Mascarpone cheese you can use hung curd or Cream cheese
  • I used light coffee as my hubby doesn't like string coffee. You can use strong coffee
  • I freezed it coz I wanted to have it soon. You can also keep it in the fridge overnight to set & have the next day too:)
  • I have also seen that you can use custard powder instead of eggs. However the taste might vary. If you don't eat eggs than try it with custard.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Stopping by and leaving a lovely comment...Your comments means a lot to me and; it defenitley does motivate me to do more. Happy to have you in my space &; hope to see you again soon.

Sheela:)