Sunday 5 May 2013

Fondant Cake

 


It was our 4th Wedding Anniversary on 4th May. I wanted to make a really special cake. Since I wanted to keep the decoration very simple I decided to go with Ganache. This cake is really rich & a tall cake. Well my USP is tall cakes. I love tall cakes coz you can get to taste a big chunk with various flavours. More over the tall cake looks very beautiful compared to the regular ones. Since I dint want too much of chocolate flavour I decided to add in Strawberry mousse filling in one of the layer (click for recipe Strawberry Puree).

All my Mousse cakes are egg less & I follow my never fail simple recipe. Although this is a 6 inch cake it can serve around 20 people. I must tell you that this cake is Incredible... its so tasty that you just cant eat just one piece. I swear I must have gained 2 inches in the last 2 days. I must have eaten at least half portion of entire cake. It is definitely a sinful indulgence. Well if this Sin is so delicious I don't mind to commit this sin again:) Well I had no intention to have any cake topper but since my hubby was in a conference call on 3rd night I decided to utilise this time to do some decor:) The figurine outcome is not so good & I really dint have the patience to do it well. It was already 12 in the night & I was just doing time pass with the fondant.

Making assembling & decoration this cake is a long process.  Beginners in Cake decoration might find it a lill difficult. I have tried my best to explain it in simple words. I hope you will try this & enjoy. BTW my 2 year old Toddler just loved this cake & I have posted a video of his:)


Step 1: Chocolate cake Recipe:

Ingredients

  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup Cocoa powder
  • 1 Tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tspn Baking soda
  • 2  eggs
  • 70 gms Butter
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/4  cup hot water
  • 1 Tspn Lemon Juice
  • 1/4 Tsp salt
 Method:
  1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 6-inch round baking pan.
  2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder in large bowl.
  3. Cream the Butter sugar with a electric beater.
  4. Add eggs one at a time and vanilla. Add in the dry ingredients & Mix the hot water. Beat this for another 2 minutes until the batter is smooth
  5. Pour batter into prepared pan & bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Now cut the cake into 3 layers & frost with chocolate mousse.
Note: This cake will turn out really tall about 6 inches.


 
 
Step 2: Chocolate Mousse Recipe
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1 Cup melted chocolate (Good quality semi sweet chocolate)
  • 1/2 cup Icing sugar
  • 1 Tbsp Gelatin or 1/2 Tbsp of agar agar (Mix this well in 1/2 cup of hot water)

Method:
  • Beat the whipping cream to soft peaks, fold in the melted chocolate & agar agar into it. Refrigerate it for about 1 hour until its all set.

 
Step3: Strawberry Mousse recipe
  • 1/4 cup of Strawberry Puree
  • 1 cup Heavy whipping cream
  • 1/2 cup Icing sugar
  • 1 Tbsp Gelatin or 1/2 Tbsp of agar agar (Mix this well in 1/2 cup of hot water)

Method:
  • Beat the whipping cream to soft peaks, fold in the Strawberry Puree & agar agar into it. Refrigerate it for about 1 hour until its all set.
 



Step 4: Chocolate Ganache:
  • 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1 tbsp butter
 
Method:
  1. Bring heavy whipping cream to a rolling boil & turn off the stove.
  2. Add in the chocolate chips & butter to the cream mixture. Let it rest for 5 -10 mins.
  3. Once the chocolate chips are melted well stir it well with a spoon or a whisk.
  4. Allow it to cool in room temperature for about 8 hours or Just refrigerate for 2 hours.
  5. Now the consistency of Ganache will be right for frosting
 
Step 5:Assembling the cake:
  1. Cut each cake into 3 layers
  2. Fill each layer with 1 inch Mousee filling.  I used Chocolate mousse for one layer & Starwberry for another.
  3. In case you have extra mousee you can crumb coat the cake with it. Keep this in the freezer for abour 1/2 hour to set.
  4. Now remove & frost the cake with Ganache. Smoothen the Ganache well & again freeze it for 1/2 hour.
  5. Now you can decorate the cake with fondant or you can have it just like that
  6.  
Step 6: Homemade Marshmallow fondant Recipe
· 250 gms Kraft Marshmallow
· 4- 6 cups icing sugar
· 2 tbsp water
· Green edible gel color
 
Method:
1.    In a microwave heat marshmallow with 2 tbsp of water for about 1 minute or 2, until its all melted.
2.  Remove the Marshmallow & add in icing sugar to it & make smooth dough. Add in any colour of your choice.
3.  Once the fondant is ready cover it with a zip lock bag & let it rest for at least 10 minutes. Now it is ready to use.


7 comments:

  1. wow... this looks so good... i've never tried my hand at fondant, would love to some day... the cake looks awesome, really... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Rafeeda. Mashmallow fondant is tastier than the regular one. When u make it at home it's easy to add in color

      Delete
  2. Awesome Cake.You have a beautiful collection of recipes and especially i loved all your cake recipes. Happy to follow your site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely creation....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sheela, I tried your cake but substituted water with milk. The cake turned powdery n hard. Please suggest how to correct it. thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Stopping by and leaving a lovely comment...Your comments means a lot to me and; it defenitley does motivate me to do more. Happy to have you in my space &; hope to see you again soon.

Sheela:)