Friday 28 June 2013

Pepper Chicken Masala


 
Tomorrow a friend of mine is visiting Singapore for a Dental Conference. Its gonna be fun because she is going to stay with us for a week. Now that she is around, I will also get introduced to a good Dental surgeon who can do my wisdom tooth surgery. Well Dental stuff is very very expensive here. I have enquired in couple of good places & they are charges are not less than $2000:(.  Hoping she will get me some discount too:) Well although our family is filled with Dentists, I never get the time back in India to get this done. Th last 2 visits Zion was little & I really dint have the time for this. Coz once the surgery is done I will be on bed for a week. So finally I am left with one option to do here in Singapore, as my Maid can take care of Zion while I rest.

So coming back to today's post, This is a Coorgi way of making Pepper chicken. This is my mother's recipe & I love this pepper fry. My mom would mostly pair this up with Akki Rotti & Kadambittu. I can still remember eating it almost every weekend while its raining outside. I made it Yesterday for dinner & my hubby couldn't stop eating:) Curry, spices, masala is all that he needs for food. He is game for any tasty Indian food. I kind of get bored with too much Indian. So, I am planning for Prawn Burgers for dinner tonight:) Well I have also taken a video recipe for this one. I will be publishing it as soon as I do the editing. This is how I made the Chicken Pepper Masala.



Ingredients:
  • 1 kG Chicken cleaned & medium cut
  • 2 Onions sliced thinly
  • 2 Medium Tomatoes chopped small
  • 1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
  • 2 Tbsp Minced Ginger
  • 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
  • 1 Tspn Chili powder
  • 1/4 Tspn Turmeric powder
  • 1 Inch Cinnamon Stick
  • 4 Cloves
  • 4 Cardamom pods
  • 2 Bay leaves
  • 1/2 Tspn Grated Nutmeg
  • Garam Masala (Recipe below)
  • 2 Tbsp Oil
  • Salt as per taste
  • Coriander leaves to garnish
  • 1/4 tspn Sugar
Garm Masala
  • 2 Tbsp Black pepper corns
  • 1 inch Cinnamon
  • 4 Cloves
  • 5 Cardamom pods
  • 1 Petal Star Aniz
  • 2 Tbsp Coriander seeds
  • 1 Tbsp Poppy seeds
Direction:
  1. Wash the chicken well, drain water & set aside
  2. Dry roast all the ingredients mentioned in the Garam masala & make a fine powder by grinding it in mixer.
  3. In a heavy bottom Pan add oil, tip in minced ginger, garlic, cinnamon sticks, cardamom, cloves, bay leaves, grated nutmeg, Fry this for a minute. Now add in the onions & let it fry until pink.
  4. Combine the tomatoes, Garam masala, turmeric powder, Chili powder & give it a good mix. Add 4 Tbsp of water so that the spices gets well combined. Fry this for 2 minutes.
  5. Add in the chicken to this & give it a good mix. Season it with salt & lemon juice. Close lid & cook this on low flame for 15 to 20 minutes. In between saute once or twice. You needn't add water as the chicken will leave a lot of water while cooking. In case you want more gravy then add 1/4 cup of hot water. We never add water as its tasty this way.
  6. After 20 mins of cooking check if the chicken is done. If done garnish it with sugar, coriander leaves & its ready to serve.
I could some how manage to take some pics of the making of Chicken pepper.




 

7 comments:

  1. Wow! Pepper chicken masala looks soo yummy and well done dear.. Have a great time with your friend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. G'day! Your recipe and photo looks so delicious, true!
    I might have to put this on my list to do!
    Cheers! Joanne
    http://www.facebook.com/whatsonthelist.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything is pretty much expensive these days. Our cost of living has up there and medical is even worst. Great to hear about your friend and getting your tooth done. I am simply loving the curry simply because I am a typical Asian and my food is alongside such pepper and masala flavored curry. The outcome is simply making me hungry now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cant tell you how badly i crave for this pepper chicken now...Haven't had it for a while. Yours looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG.....thats super tempting....tat makes me go crazy...gonna try this sunday........

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I can smell it cooking!! SOOOOOOOO delicious!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow...love the way it looks Sharon... slurp!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Stopping by and leaving a lovely comment...Your comments means a lot to me and; it defenitley does motivate me to do more. Happy to have you in my space &; hope to see you again soon.

Sheela:)